JoGLE in Memory of Sdn Ldr Ant Downing

On the 22nd December 2011 Sdn Ldr Anthony Downing was seriously wounded when the vehicle he was travelling in was caught in an explosion south of Kabul. Ant was flown back to the UK where sadly he died of his wounds at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

Ant was my brother, an exceptionally good man and an inspiration to so many, myself included. From an early age he tried to push himself to see what he was capable of. Whilst he was at school he competed in endurance events in running and cycling and as an adult went on to such feats as cycling across America in 25 days a number of Iron Man competitions and completed a Double Iron Man too.

At his funeral the idea of retracing his wheel tracks on a ride across the USA was talked over with many of Ant's friends. I said on a number of times I would like to give it a go. This ride however is not quite so ambitious; it is a training ride to see if I have it within me to cycle long distances. Ant completed the Lands End to John O' Groats trip on his own in 1999. The journey should be approximately 874 miles, hence the target for the fund-raising. My friend Chris Tremblett and I shall be doing the journey in September the other way around mainly due to logistical reasons.

We have been told on a number of occasions that going North to South is the awkward way to do it as we will be pedalling into the wind every day. However, Scotland is high up on the map and Cornwall is at the bottom so although it's a long way it will all be down hill. How hard can it be?


Very, I suspect...

Sunday 16 September 2012

Day 2 Tain to Aviemore

After an early night we were presented with a full fried breakfast by Mollie which disappeared within seconds. Seems that cycling 90 miles makes Chris and Spike hungry bunnies. After a bit of faffing brought on by changeable weather conditions we left with an admonishment to not get into too much trouble and pedalled off into the morning drizzle. Thankfully after an hour the rain gave way to grey-blue skies and the beautiful scenery on the shores of Cromarty Firth.

With light hearts and a surprisingly springy turn of pedal we crossed the bridge and started the first climb of the day up the Black Isle. Surprisingly springy indeed because the surprise was my rear wheel had decided to become all foppish and left leaning, or at least snuggle up to my left chainstay. In short my wheel was a bit knackered and with a spoke key and a depleting sense of humour I set about trying to make it a bit more rounder. Half an hour later we had arranged to call into a bike shop in Inverness and set off hoping the next twenty miles wouldn't be interrupted by the sound of shattering spokes. The wheel truing took place in front of a Presbyterian church and I'm pleased to say I just about managed to keep my frustration at a thought only volume.

After a long slog uphill nursing the bike we had a long coast to Inverness and the excellent bike shop Alpine Bikes. There we had a hot meal in the the cafe whilst Martin trued the wheel far better than an angry fat man at the side of the road could ever hope to achieve. The guys in the shop were very kind to us, gave us information on the ride ahead, put up a couple of our flyers and bade us goodbye.as we climbed out of Inverness refreshed for the 30 miles ahead of us.

Outside of Inverness there is a three mile climb and sadly half way up it my bike developed a knock through the cranks. I'd felt it occasionally yesterday and thought it was a sticky link in the chain but as I'd oiled the chain this morning it had to be the bottom bracket. Despite being only 250 miles old it seems to have developed some play in it although moving it by hand doesn't show any movement when putting power through it the bottom bracket distinctly jumps. The swine.

Without many other options we kept on going me fervently begging for the bearings not to grind themselves out and climbed further away from the water towards the Cairngorms. Fifteen miles of climbing into some stunning scenery with dirty great big scar faced hills looming over us my rear wheel finally cried Uncle! and ground up against the chain stay again. It would seem that 8000 mile old triathlon wheels aren't that suitable for touring the highlands... More repairs were made and we made the summit of Slochd for photographs, grins and 7 miles of downhill to Aviemore.

We made the bunkhouse in Aviemore at quarter to five, where Owen Hannan was there to greet us. We've just been for a few beers, a deserved fish n chips and a long chat about Ant. Each time I meet one of Ants friends I feel privileged to know a bit more about him and in having a go at long distance cycling I'm learning another thing too. I'm not sure what that is but we've a fair few miles to go so I'm sure I'll work it out. Thanks Owen, hope to see you soon sir.

So tomorrow is going to be a race to buy new wheels and get the bottom bracket striped and rebuilt before tackling the hills and 81 miles to Perth in the rain. Rough and smooth, rough and smooth... If you are left unsatisfied by this once daily update and are yearning for blow by farcical blow updates on out ever increasing skittles addition you can follow us on twitter@longwaydownhill

4 comments:

  1. I'm feeling partly responsible for your troubles today after telling you it was too enjoyable yesterday. From Chris - stick close to the road and watch out for badgers, they move when you're not looking at them!!

    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get the mechanicals sorted so you have one less thing to faff with & can concentrate on enjoying the scenery!
    All the best for today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with fixing the wheels.

    Here's hoping the rain and wind are minimal today.

    Wave to Dalwhinnie on the way past. I always felt like I was nearly at Kinloss by the time I got there (from Brize Norton) but I was in a car, although sometimes in snow and wondering if Slochd Summit would be closed (hmmmmmmm, trying, unsuccessfully to make myself sound intrepid).

    Lovely to hear that as part of this adventure you're learning more about some of the many wonderful facets to Ant's character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right. Blame the tools and not the tool that's using them.

    ReplyDelete