JoGLE in Memory of Sdn Ldr Ant Downing

On the 22nd December 2011 Sdn Ldr Anthony Downing was seriously wounded when the vehicle he was travelling in was caught in an explosion south of Kabul. Ant was flown back to the UK where sadly he died of his wounds at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

Ant was my brother, an exceptionally good man and an inspiration to so many, myself included. From an early age he tried to push himself to see what he was capable of. Whilst he was at school he competed in endurance events in running and cycling and as an adult went on to such feats as cycling across America in 25 days a number of Iron Man competitions and completed a Double Iron Man too.

At his funeral the idea of retracing his wheel tracks on a ride across the USA was talked over with many of Ant's friends. I said on a number of times I would like to give it a go. This ride however is not quite so ambitious; it is a training ride to see if I have it within me to cycle long distances. Ant completed the Lands End to John O' Groats trip on his own in 1999. The journey should be approximately 874 miles, hence the target for the fund-raising. My friend Chris Tremblett and I shall be doing the journey in September the other way around mainly due to logistical reasons.

We have been told on a number of occasions that going North to South is the awkward way to do it as we will be pedalling into the wind every day. However, Scotland is high up on the map and Cornwall is at the bottom so although it's a long way it will all be down hill. How hard can it be?


Very, I suspect...

Monday 17 September 2012

Day 3 Aviemore to... Aviemore

Well that didn't go quite to plan.
After a few shandies last night we got our heads down in the Aviemore Bunkhouse and despite one Dutch chap doing his level best to keep us awake we still managed a few hours in the Land of Nod. Somewhat furry of tongue and bleary of eye we rode around the bike shops of Aviemore until we found Mikes Bikes who stocked road bike wheels. I bought a shiny pair of Shimano 105's on mavic rims from them and agreed to come back at half 11 when mike would have swapped the cassette over.
We wondered around Aviemore a bit, had some breakfast and then some cake in the Mountain Cafe. Owen had mentioned that he and Ant had been there on many occasions for tea and cake and I hoped by going there I'd be able to feel some kind of connection to the place. It's a lovely cafe but I left feeling disappointed that I hadn't been able to garner something more by being there.
We collected the bike, organised posting my old wheels back to Plymouth with the shop and set out at midday hoping to make at least Pitlochry 55 miles distant. We rode along a little used B road that ran parallel to the A9 and admired the hills looming over us and the tranquil loch alongside. We even stopped for a photo which isn't something we have done much so far. The morning rain had held off and the wind was less an obstruction on this sheltered road. We were merrily scampering along with a zip, zing and even a zap until I rode quickly over a manhole cover and things took a distinct turn for the worse.
A clunk was felt followed by the sound of a wheel rubbing against a chainstay, a sound i was particularly familiar with. We stopped and sheltered in a driveway whilst I hunted in my bag for a spoke key. Unfortunately all the spokes seemed to be OK and the wheel was brand new. We were 10 miles from Aviemore and a new wheel was apparently knackered but I couldn't work out either how or why. Ultimately, we were in a sticky situation, more sticky than when Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. Thankfully Don and Gwen who lived in the house we were outside came to our rescue. Don drove me back to the bike shop whilst Chris took shelter inside with a cup of tea.
At the bike shop Mike diagnosed the problem to be a failed bond between the chain-stay and the dropout. Ants bike was a write off, it wouldn't be making any more miles towards Land's End. I'd broken it. All the faff with wheel yesterday and worrying about the bottom braket had just been a symptom rather than the cause. Don patiently waited until I made up my mind with what to do. They only had a choice of two bikes in my size at the shop and the Inverness shop only had a couple too. In the end I plumped for a basic but functional Raleigh which Mike will be swapping the components off Ants Trek overnight.
Don then drove me back to the house where we were looked after by Gwen with tea and an open fire to warm us. Don finally drove us back to Aviemore in the pouring rain and bade us farewell. We are both incredibly thankful for their patience and kindness.
On arriving at the bunkhouse bar we met Mel and Roddy who upon hearing a tenth of today's woes pushed donations into my hand. Another pair of unexpectedly fantastic people who listed to our tale and gave me a much needed hug. Thank you both and take care on your fishing trip!
Back in the bunk house and after a shower and some scran I'm feeling a bit more chipper. Tomorrow should be dryer, I pick up the bike at half 8 and we should make Perth 81 miles away. Onwards and upwards...

2 comments:

  1. That sucks, but I guess the silver lining is you were close to a bike shop who could help you out.
    The kindness of strangers never fails to amaze in this day and age.
    Hopefully a couple of medicinal drinks will ease the loss of the Trek and you can get a trouble free day of riding in tomorrow.
    Chin up etc etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Tuesday is progressing better than Monday. So sorry to hear about the mechanicals and associated upsets.

    Yes, the kindness of strangers is wonderful.

    All the best for many trouble-free miles to come and fingers crossed for no more appearances from Sticky.

    ReplyDelete